Friday, October 30, 2009

Andree Sanders Interviews with JAM ( Just Ask Marlene)

jam talks to the pros

We asked our favorite industry VIP’s to share
what’s on their minds, what they’re working on
and what makes them tick.  jam is so excited to have 
Andree as our VIP!

jam


What is Trips for Kids?

Trips for Kids Metro New York is a non-profit organization that provides mountain bike outings and environmental education for kids who would not otherwise have these opportunities.  It teaches lessons in personal responsibility, achievement, and environmental awareness through the simple act of having fun while enabling them to realize their full potential. You can learn more about TFKMNY at http://www.tfkmetrony.org/


How did you get involved with this organization?
I was first introduced to Trips For Kids Metro New York in 2002 at the New York Bike Show. I started as a passionate volunteer and now I am the Executive Director. During my first ride, I watched a group of 10-16 year-old boys have the time of their lives and it inspired me to continue to help others. That was in 2002, and I have never looked back.


What are you hoping for kids to get out of these trips?
I hope these kids get a new outlook on life from these rides.  We focus on their accomplishments throughout the day and teach them how to apply these lessons to their everyday lives. We also introduce them to exercise and nutrition, which they are not usually exposed to, in a fun and exciting format. Most importantly, I want them to have FUN and come back for more!


What has been your greatest accomplishment at TFK?

In the three years that I have been Executive Director, we have gotten several hundred kids out on bikes.  That is more kids on bikes than all of the prior years combined.  I have created a strong client base and fundraising program to keep our rides funded. Getting the kids to challenge themselves and have fun is a formula that works.  I look forward to improving the program and reaching even more kids next year!


You have 2 kids, how are they involved in TFK?

My family plays a big part in Trips for Kids Metro New York. My husband helps lead trips with me, and my 10 year-old son is an amazing ride volunteer who demonstrates the bike positions and skills needed to ride off road.  It is nice for the kids to have someone their own age helping out - this way they can see that it is possible to do. My 3 year-old daughter even comes along, attached to my bike in a chariot. It’s great to be able to teach my children to give to others, while showing them how a family can work and play together.

 What has been your favorite part about this program?
I love seeing how the kids have transformed in just a few hours.  At the beginning we have them try to ride up a hill, which many of them can’t do. By the end of the ride, they are racing up that same hill! It is an amazing for them to measure their own skill growth. The kids have a great time.  They learn skills in biking and team building, and most importantly, they learn to have confidence in themselves. My favorite part is seeing the smiles on their faces after they finish a ride. It makes me want to share this experience with every child I meet! 


Go to JAM's website for the complete story  http://justaskmarlene.com/vip.html

No comments:

Post a Comment